Confession

The confession of evil works is the first beginning of good works. —AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO

I read through the beginning of this chapter (Discipline of Confession) and was underwhelmed. It's as Foster says:

"We imagine that we are the only ones who have not stepped onto the high road to heaven. Therefore, we hide ourselves from one another and live in veiled lies and hypocrisy."

We even hide ourselves from our self. I don't want to be at the place of confession. It's an indication to me of being at the beginning. I want to have traveled a ways down the road, not discover that I've been traveling backwards and find that all of my travels have lead me to the beginning. But if it must be:

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time. T. S. Eliot

Lord Jesus, help me begin in confession, to not gloss over the obvious, to not miss the elephant in the room because my desire to be further prevents me. I want to walk and talk with You in truth, in reality. I am a man that can be trivial. I want my person to be revered as important, and in so doing I divorce myself from the way of the cross. With gentleness and kindness, Lord, bring me back to the start.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

James 5:16
1 John 1:9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Found Jesus

I Vow an Ego Crushing Vow

"Follow Me" Crazy Horse Summons Jesus Christ