I Discipline My Body

I'm coming into the summer season. A season for me which, I'm still praying, will be characterized by rest and restoration. Each summer these past few years has been characterized by a special "push" for one reason or another. But whenever I come into a time of greater flexibility and leisure, I tend to live a life hard on my body. Stay up late, drink too much, infatuate over different trivialities. I'm hoping that this summer I am able to maintain a level of discipline and routine. I'll have to set some goals for what I'd like to accomplish, and there is a little ringing in my ear about pursuing things solely for my own good and those that can truly be for the good of others as well.

It's important to remember this start: 1 Cor 9:27

I don't know about you, but I'm running hard for the finish line. I'm giving it everything I've got. No sloppy living for me! I'm staying alert and in top condition. I'm not going to get caught napping, telling everyone else all about it and then missing out myself.

Later on in Ch 10 Paul looks at those things that caused folks to miss out before: sexual lust, a dancing and partying mentality, and discontent.

Heavenly Father, help me to stay connected to You through Christ, the Cross, and Your Spirit. I sense You calling me to be more consistent with You, and I certainly want that, but certainly also need some ironing out. Some discipline in my body (and mind). Help me to avoid pitfalls and to make quick adjustments when needed.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Found Jesus

I Vow an Ego Crushing Vow

"Follow Me" Crazy Horse Summons Jesus Christ