Mercy Over Judgement

Far and away the most important benefit of celebration is that it saves us from taking ourselves too seriously. ~Foster

Had a spat with the wife last night. Actually, we didn't spat. I just dismissed myself from the situation, not wanting to go through the usual unsatisfying dialogue, where I speak and she doesn't hear me. So I withdrew. It may have actually been the best thing I could have done. In the heat of the moment, how good are we at coming up with useful points, and how good are our "combatants" at receiving them?

This morning I read on the "Benefits of Celebration". Foster states, "Far and away the most important benefit of celebration is that it saves us from taking ourselves too seriously." Cheers to that!

I get into these funks with my wife, where I think she doesn't hear me, she won't hear me. But on balance with how my life is going, how serious should I take these everyday instances of mutual frustration? Can I leave this, too, in God's hands so that He can make of it what He will? For certain, I find it difficult to do that. I want justice! But do I really want justice? What would become of me if I really go justice? Could I stand the scrutiny?

Lord Jesus, help me in these heated moments to pursue mercy over judgement. I want so badly to get justice, to not have to cower under the weight of injustices from my wife! But, at least to some extent, they are perceived injustices. And, in any case, do I believe that justice should be the prevailing word. Is righteousness an iron rod, or is it outstretched hands? It's hard to do the right thing. I have so much pride. I want to be right, I want to get what I want. But not at the expense of my wife, and not at the expense of the gospel. Help me do right, Lord Jesus, by Your power, not my own.

In Jesus Name,

Amen

James 2:10-13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I've Found Jesus

I Vow an Ego Crushing Vow

"Follow Me" Crazy Horse Summons Jesus Christ